Named for an Algerian Hero
The Carter House Museum is located in the little N.E. Iowa town of Elkader, with a population of just 1500. The town is named for an Algerian hero, Abd El Kader (1807-1883). He was a remarkable man who fought in Algeria against the invading French and who was later instrumental in saving the lives of 12,000 threatened Christians in Syria. In 1846 early settler Timothy Davis admired Abd El Kader and named the town in his honor.
Because of this, we frequently play hosts to Algerians, including the ambassador to the U.S., and many of us have been guests in Algeria. Most Algerian visitors stop at the Carter House Museum to see the Abd El Kader display and to learn about Elkader's sister-city connection with Mascara, Algeria.